Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Review of Andy Stanley's "How Good is Good Enough"

http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/bloggingforbooks/reviews/ranking/5767

            The first time I read How Good is Good Enough? by Andy Stanley was about seven years ago. I, like many others, was given a copy of it from a friend with the following comment, “You really need to read this.” So I read it. I had about two hours to kill in a snow storm, and almost knocked out the entire book. To understand why I didn’t read the whole thing in two hours you have to understand how I read a book as captivating as How Good is Good Enough? I basically have to read the book twice as I go back and highlight all of the “good stuff.” In hindsight, I would have saved time (and a highlighter) had I just highlighted the passages that meant nothing to me.
            In my Christian experience I have heard one answer more than any other to the following question, “What must you do in order to go to heaven?” That answer is, “You have to be good enough.” Andy Stanley then takes the next step that so many of us have failed to take and asks, “How good is good enough?” Stanley walks us through the next several chapters answering and combating some of the most common fallacies of what it takes to earn a spot in heaven in a writing style almost as if it is just you and him over a cup of coffee. Stanley’s arguments are very thought out, extremely logical, and come accompanied with anecdotal examples to illustrate his points. He uses so much common sense that his arguments are impossible to defend.
            Christians and non-Christians alike will benefit from reading this book. The gospel of grace is clearly presented, while the gospel of works is very logically refuted. Unfortunately, many born again Christians have bought into the lie, that even if they have a right relationship with Jesus Christ they still need to score high enough on the report card of their life to make it in to Heaven. Stanley answers the spiritual question of both of these groups.
            This book is a must read. Witnessing to someone is as easy as handing them a copy of this book. There is a reason why many Christian bookstores sell this book in a multi-pack, and why they can be found in almost every pastor’s office. This is a book you will want to read again and again, as well a hand out. So I suggest you buy multiple copies.   

No comments:

Post a Comment